Monday, September 27, 2010

Blind Tasting



After a minor detour, I found myself with a free afternoon in Salzburg, Austria. Though I hadn't planned on even setting foot in the country, I found it reminded me a bit of Aspen. From the top of the Hohensalzburg Castle overlooking the area, I sipped a local beer and took in the stunning view of abrupt mountain peaks of the Alps and distant lakes.

Salzburg, which literally means "Salt Fortress" has several cemeteries and churches. I began photographing cemeteries in Oakland with my first camera when I was thirteen. There was something I loved about the still marble statues in stark black and white. As I travel, I cannot help wandering through the old and crumbling tombstones of Europe. The most interesting in Salzburg was just next to the Cemetery of St. Peter, where there are catacombs carved into the rock of the Festungsberg. Believed to have been cut into the stone in 1139, it seems nearly impossible without modern tools.

The "Old Town" with its world famous baroque architecture, is one of the best-preserved city centers in the German-speaking world. I loved the spired towers dotting each corner of this neighborhood, and as you will see later on, I can't resist a good reflection shot.





No comments:

Post a Comment